St. Barnabas Dress Code
All students are required to be in proper uniform every day. Scholars should take pride in their appearance.
Parents/guardians are responsible for the purchase and maintenance of the uniform. If there is a problem obtaining the regulation uniform, please call the main office (215-729-3603).
All school clothing must be purchased at Flynn & O’Hara Uniform Company, located at 30 E Baltimore Ave, Clifton Heights, PA 19018. Other locations are also available – visit https://www.flynnohara.com/.
Students should take pride in their appearance. Clothing should be clean and well-maintained. Hair: Students may wear headbands of school colors only. No bandanas.
A watch is permitted. Smart watches should not be brought to school. Cell phones may not be used in school. Headphones should not be worn unless for a specific class activity. The school is not responsible for any missing items, including phones, watches, and headphones.
Personal appearance that constitutes a distraction is not permitted. Final approval/ disapproval is at the discretion of the Principal/Assistant Principal.
Sweaters, sweatshirts and sweatpants are now updated with our current logo. Prior versions may still be worn.
Kindergarten wear the gym suit daily. The gym uniform includes the following:
Navy blue sweatpants or shorts and grey t-shirt with logo. Students are encouraged to wear the long-sleeve version of the t-shirt.
Navy sweatshirt with logo.
Sneakers. Please put student’s name on all items.
Families should also send a spare change of clothing in a labeled plastic bag at the beginning of the year (in case of accidents).
ALL STUDENTS (Grades 1-8):
A white dress shirt, with long or short sleeves, properly tucked in, and a navy blue tie, with gray dress pants with a BLACK belt worn at the waist, and socks must be worn. An option to the white dress shirt and tie is the white polo shirt with the school logo. An official navy blue uniform sweater is the only type of sweater permitted. Please put student’s name in the sweater. All black shoes must be worn; all black sneakers are also acceptable.
(Grades 1-6) The official St. Barnabas plaid jumper (no more than two inches above the knee), worn with a white Peter Pan collar long or short sleeved shirt, navy blue knee socks, or blue, white or black stockings must be worn. An official navy blue uniform sweater is the only type of sweater permitted. Please put student’s name in the sweater. All black shoes must be worn; all black sneakers are also acceptable.
(Grades 6-8) The official St. Barnabas plaid skirt of modest length (no more than two inches above the knee), a white oxford dress shirt, with long or short sleeves, properly tucked in, must be worn. White polo shirts, properly tucked in to the skirt, may replace the white oxford dress shirt. Navy blue knee socks, or blue, white or black stockings are mandatory. An official navy blue uniform sweater is the only type of sweater permitted. Please put student’s name in the sweater. All black shoes must be worn; all black sneakers are also acceptable.
Students must wear their gym uniform on the assigned day. No other types of clothes are permitted.
No earrings on gym day.
Navy blue sweatpants, sweatshirts, and t-shirts with school logo are to be worn. Navy blue shorts may be worn during warm weather, and/or under sweatpants in the cold weather. Only St. Barnabas or plain navy blue sweats are acceptable.
Sneakers (of any color) are to be worn on gym day.
OUT OF UNIFORM
If at any time an exception in uniform is necessary, a note of explanation must be sent to the child’s teacher who will forward it to the principal. This note should indicate the expected date by which the uniform will be complete.
ANY STUDENT NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE DRESS CODE WILL RECEIVE A UNIFORM DEMERIT.
DRESS DOWN DAYS
Occasionally students will be given permission to dress down for a day. The dress code for those days is as follows:
- Minimum Requirements:
- 1. Clothing must cover areas from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately 4+ inches in length on the upper thighs (see images below). Tops must have shoulder straps. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the 4 inches in length.
- 2. Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (pajamas, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn, except for school activities approved by the principal). Sandals or open-toed shoes are not permitted.
- 3. See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- 4. Headgear including hats, hoodies, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reasons by school administration.
- 5. Specialized courses may require specialized attire, such as sports uniforms or safety gear.
- Additional Requirements:
- 1. Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- 2. Clothing may not depict or imply pornography, nudity, or sexual acts.
- 3. Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- 4. Clothing may not state, imply, or depict hate speech/imagery targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or any other protected classification.
- 5. Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- 6. Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- 7. Apparel, jewelry, accessories, tattoos, or manner of grooming that, by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates illegal or disruptive behavior is prohibited.
Administration reserves the right to determine what constitutes appropriate dress. Students who do not adhere to these guidelines will not be allowed to attend class. Parents will be called if appropriate clothing is not available or the student refuses dress-code appropriate clothing.